GOD’s word counts discretion as important to living a wise life. In fact, it can be found through Scriptures. Proverbs emphasizes the importance:
- Proverbs 2:11–Discretion will protect us from foolish behaviors.
- Proverbs 5:2–Discretion will remind us that some words should be ignored as they lead to temptation.
- Proverbs 8:12–Prudence and discretion are powerful tools in our wisdom journey and keep us focused on the things GOD shows us as worthwhile.
- Proverbs 11:22–Beauty and power can camouflage indiscretion.
- Proverbs 19:11–Discretion’s sister, Prudence keeps us more in control of our emotions, making discretion easier.
- sees beyond ourselves and what we may be feeling.
- speaks the same way when we’re angry and frustrated, as when we’re stable and focused.
- uses prudence in that we anticipate how our words or actions will affect others now and later.
- thinks before speaking.
- seeks peaceful resolutions.
- is “whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable—if there is any virtue and if there is anything worthy of praise—dwell on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)
- seeks justice, therefore it chooses words carefully and that are unbiased.
As I meditated on discretion, I realized our society is not built for discretion. Our media enhances indiscretions and gives it a musical score. Even our justice system operates more efficiently when dramatic demonstrations of unlawfulness are displayed.
It isn’t any wonder we all struggle with discretion. Sometimes I feel like isolating myself from media or in trying situations with people. While it’s not always a bad thing to walk away from a difficult situation we don’t know how to handle, we can’t practically live that way. Eventually, we need to figure it out then walk it humbly.
What does discretion look like in your world? Does what we share edify? Is it ours to share? Do we share wisely?
Such a little word–such importance in our Wisdom’s Journey.
May we learn the art of discretion, my friends.Tree of Life Bible Society‘s CEO, Daniah Greenberg and me, Terri Gillespie, Author dig a little deeper with the book of Proverbs. Watch previous episodes there as well. Stay wise, my friends!][/et_pb_text][/et_pb_column] [/et_pb_row] [/et_pb_section]